For some occasions, there is a need to design your own costume. This entails giving the clothing and the performer a new look which is unique. If you find it necessary to design your own costume, whether, for a play or just a fancy dress, or a comic convention there are a number of things that you need to understand which will allow you to have an easy time.
You will also get to understand what the whole concept demands, and what is needed. For those who understand the concept through images and visual representation, Buyneu.com has all the images. There are also some detailed tutorials on how create and design your own costume.
The design process
You cannot come up with a perfect costume until you have established the perfect design. The following are some of the necessary steps as you design the costume.
- Conduct a complete analysis of all the necessities and aspects involved when coming up with the costume.
- Establish teamwork when designing; this is important especially when you are designing costumes for a theater function or one that will have a number of users. Ensure that your team works with all the people involved. If you are designing a costume for a client, you need to involve them, as through this they will be contented with the end product.
- Conduct research. Open-mindedness and willingness to learn should be your driving force. Research allows you to have a clear understanding of the impact of color, materials, accessories, and the overall design. It is through research that you are able to settle on the costumes that identify with the characters. You can also download other people’s costumes and dig into the character’s personality.
- Conduct a preliminary sketch and the color layout. This will help you to settle on the needed material and specify the color. A well-outlined preliminary sketch helps you to have a complete view of the final designed costume.
- Draw a final sketch for the previous outline. This will be with the help of the previous sketch. You can complete it by adding colors and settling on the final design.
How to polish your designer skills
Having understood the whole design process, it is important that you polish your drawing skill. It is through the practice that you are able to come up with an appealing and attractive costume. The following tips will help you polish the skill.
- Practice drawing every day; drawing every day perfects the skill. This should be the case for both the professionals and beginners. This boosts your confidence and gives you an easy time implementing whichever design is on the paper. By the time you need to design your own costume, you will be fully armed
- Make efforts to learn about colors and patterns. Designing a costumes demands you to have a complete understanding of how colors relate to one another. Learn on how to blend the colors and the meanings they imply. Ensure that you have a color wheel that will help you throughout the design process
- If possible you can take design courses or view related videos online. This allows you to learn the necessary mediums, the lines, and shapes. You are also able to get the basics for every aspect of your design
- Learn to be present; you need to be committed to the entire design process. This allows you to combine different features and explore all available ideas. Avoid distractions as much as possible. Build on your ideas and share with those who can help.
- Familiarize yourself with costume technology. This should be the case even when you are only responsible for designing the costume, and not making them. When you are well exposed, you are able to grow and explore in the field. You get to learn about different fabrics, costumes-making techniques, and the desired accessories and props; this makes you functional and practical. The tutorials offered will also help you perfect the skill.
Designing your own costume may be serious and competitive, especially to the professionals. However, if you are a beginner, you should enjoy the learning process and pay attention to details. Don’t feel threatened whenever a mistake occurs, as this is part of the learning process.